Thursday, February 2, 2012

Job Offer

It was an afternoon full of anticipation, checking my makeup, checking the clock, and wandering around wondering what it was exactly that I was waiting for. I had a faint idea it was coming but the details were a mystery. And then the doorbell rang. I nervously smiled, got up off the couch where, let's face it, I don't even know what I was watching on TV, and walked to the front door. I may have peeked through the peephole but I don't remember. Then I knew- this was IT. The moment I had dreamed of. I opened the door. 

My best friend stood on the other side of the threshold, dressed outrageously in a Cat in the Hat costume, and trick or treating for my love. His prearranged message flew out of his head and instead he said something neither of us can remember exactly, accidentally forgot about a diamond ring waiting in his pocket, told me he loved me, and asked me to marry him. In my excitement I told him yes and gave him a big hug- and then asked him to PLEASE take off the silly costume! The ring was remembered, displayed, and placed on my finger while my daddy snapped a picture. A precious memory waiting to take place since the day I knew these kinds of moments existed. This was the most important job offer I ever accepted. 

Most people don't think of a marriage as a job, and if they do it has a negative connotation, but it was recently brought to my attention to challenge that. You know that last month I left my job with Stanford and have been taking care of my health. This challenge reminded me though that my marriage is my new job and I'm called to work at it with commitment, creativity, passion, and faithfulness through my attitude and actions. I can't wait! 

Often in relationships - be it romantic, friendships, parents, or siblings- we are distracted by health, feelings, amount of sleep, stress, and distractions. We weakly "try" to make them work, then realize it's work, and abandon our goals. When looking at relationships this way there is no surprise in the statistics of divorce, estrangement, and depression from loneliness. I want my relationship to focus on putting my husband first, communicating more, and stopping my selfish attitudes (which realistically means working on them with his help and gentle reminders). I want my actions, words, and attitudes to let him know how much I love, appreciate, and cherish him. Some of you may feel this is all newlywed fantasy but I have been challenged to forge a new path and commit to staying on it, which means remembering and focusing on these goals no matter which anniversary we are nearing. 

While I focus on this new job, I am also starting another new job. A family with three children (ages 5, almost 7, and 9) have asked for me to help them part time. I have the mornings for PT, the gym, down time, cleaning, laundry, errands, or time with friends. In the afternoons I head north to Atherton where I help the kids get home from school, fix snacks, help with homework, help with laundry, do cooking projects, become a lava monster, a bug seeker, a not-so-pro touch football player, a contractor, a race car driver, and an explorer. I love the family and I love the fact that their home is built for tall people so helping never means overextending my back over low countertops. :) 

I look forward to building relationships with this family, the extra money it will bring in, and that it still allows for me to work on my health. It will also help keep me moving, which is important with my therapy, but doesn't strain my health. Most important though, is my job to love my husband to the best of my abilities. I'll be keeping you posted on both but for now I'm celebrating in the blessings of what I have been gifted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment