Friday, April 12, 2013

Transfer Time


Sooooo, I get two of these shots in my behind every night. Ya, I know, you're probably jealous because that sounds like so much fun! And the good news is that if I get pregnant then these shots will continue through the 10th week of pregnancy. Yippee!!! (Okay, note some sarcasm there.) I thought the fork would give you a better reference of the needle size, which has to go ALL...THE...WAY...IN. I've learned that it's not only a good idea to ice the injection site first but to also pray the person giving the injection actually injects into the iced area. Otherwise I'm in for a real surprise! ;) After the injection, which is an oil so it takes an extra long time to inject, it's important to heat the area really well and then rub, rub, rub! The heat and rubbing is supposed to help the oil from forming into a hard knot under the skin because that's super painful! I have to have someone do these injections for me because, if you haven't noticed on yourself, it's really hard to see your behind and poke it in the exact right spot with a super sharp, pointy object at a 90 degree angle, make sure there's no blood drawn into the syringe, and then finish the injection. My mom and Matt have been doing them for me...lucky them! I'm pretty sure it's no easy feat to have to inject someone with a needle, especially one so big. And sharp. And long. And scary. Thanks Matt and Mom for helping!

Yesterday I met with my doctor and he told us that everything looks good to schedule our frozen embryo transfer (FET), so next Thursday morning (the 18th) we will be meeting (hopefully) two of our perfectly thawed babies and transferring them around 9:45am. Compared to everything else, this is a relatively easy process. We show up at 9am, do some paperwork, meet with the embryologist, get me prepped, take some Valium (only for me- sorry Matt!), drink lots of water, and then begin.

The embryologist will put the selected embryos into a catheter filled with fluid and hand it to the RE when he's ready. A nurse will use an ultrasound to help the RE guide the embryos into the right spot and he will transfer them. The embryologist will then check the catheter to make sure it's empty and then I lay there and relax for about 20 minutes. When I'm cleared to leave the nurse will roll me out to the car in a wheelchair and Matt will take me to my parent's house. I'll be on bed rest there for about 3 days and we'll head back to San Jose on Sunday. We should find out the results in early May but will share when we're ready.

Please be praying for the process to go well and for peace as we wait for the results. Some of my medications make me a little sad, so that on top of my anxiety about this going well, makes me feel like a bit of a mess. I'd really like to be able to keep a positive attitude, relax, and enjoy some time at home with Matt in between his trips. All your messages and encouragement really cheer me up and remind me that we have so many people behind us and supporting us in this journey. Thank you!!!

3 comments:

  1. As always, I'm praying for you! Lots of love and prayers coming your way all the way from Ohio! :) ((HUGS)) - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know all of your pain and sadness! Praying all goes well! ♥

    ReplyDelete