A dozen years after I first experienced extreme low back pain, I received an official (and finally correct) diagnosis.
Spondylolysis (spon-dee-low-lye-sis)
What the heck is that you ask? Good question. I asked the same thing.
It occurs in 3-6% of the population, and it's essentially a break- or stress fracture- in one of the lower vertebrae that makes up the spine column. Usually this is seen in extreme athletes, such as professional gymnastics, where the spine is subjected to torque and pressure from flips and landings. However, mine is genetic/hereditary and the bone there never fully developed, or it began as cartilage and wore away. Sports can aggravate the condition (thanks water polo) as the joints can pinch, rub, and twist. This is why the more I move, the more pain I experience. The area becomes inflamed and the muscles in the area can then spasm and contract (which is BRUTAL, let me tell you).
Okay to learn more you have to first understand some basics of the spine and its vertebrae. Each vertebra has facet joints which connect the vertebrae all together. In the facet joint are the pars interarticularis, which is the bone between the facet joints (where nerves can get pinched and where my injections were earlier inserted into). In spondylolysis there is a gap in the pars interarticularis (let's refer to them as pars from now on) where there should be bone, so the joint is detached or separated.
The picture below shows spondylolisthesis, which is a more severe condition of spondylolysis. As you can see in the picture, there are gaps in the pars on both sides. In my condition there is only a gap on one side. Over time my condition can progress to this condition, and if so, the top of my spine could shift forward from the bottom of my spine. Umm, NO THANK YOU.
The diagnosis was clearly made from a well-taken x-ray and the only thing to do now is to increase my vitamin D intake with a supplement pill and to see another physical therapist who can teach me to strengthen and support this area to try and prevent the condition from worsening. I'll be going in for follow ups with my doctor on a regular basis to make sure. I also need to rest my back when it flares and stop doing any strenuous activities until I build better strength.
Awhile ago I wrote how I may not know what was going on in my body but God did. I'm now reminded of David's words in Psalms describing how He knit us together in our mother's womb, and as my condition most likely occurred while I was in my mother's womb, my earlier words seem slightly ironic now. I am so thankful for a doctor who fought to find me an answer and for the support of my husband in my pain and struggle. I am truly blessed!!!
More good news:
- My overall and specific thyroid results are better than good- they're excellent!
- The rheumatoid arthritis results came back negative. However, my x-rays do show wear-and-tear arthritis in my back and my doctor suspects it's in other places in my body.
- All my other blood test results came back normal.
I went into my appointment today not expecting an answer, but I left so thankful that, after twelve years, I have a confirmation of my pain through a diagnosis and I know that I'm not crazy.
By the way, please forgive me if you're a doctor (or know more about this than I do) and I got something wrong. I only learned about this a few hours ago. :)
![]() |
| I'm using a large picture so you can see it better. Please excuse the horrible font the website chose to use. Comic Sans = shudder/gag |

No comments:
Post a Comment