Saturday, July 27, 2013

An Adventurous Day & A Special Delivery

It's been a looonnggg time since I've been to the grocery store and let me tell you why: the smell of cooking chicken. YUCK! I barely made it through the check out line last time, so Matt has faithfully been taking my list and doing all the shopping for weeks now. What a guy!

On Friday I was feeling adventurous though. So adventurous in fact, that I decided to go to the market. WHOA! I know, watch out, my thrill levels are off the chart! I examined the ads for things that might look appetizing at some point this week, checked my list on the fridge of foods I'm supposed to be eating, made my grocery list, grabbed my reusable bags, and bravely headed out the door to face my evil chicken enemy!

I drove all of the two blocks to the market and parked. Whew! Step 1 accomplished! Next, I headed towards the sliding doors, stepped inside, sniffed lightly, and my nose approved- hooray! I was pretty sure I could beat the smell of chicken today! I made my rounds through the market, possibly grabbing some things that were not on my list (but who can blame a girl if raw green beans and Moosetrack ice cream suddenly sound AMAZING?!), and headed towards the check out line. So far, so good. I was just about to push my cart away when my sweet special needs checker told me I looked very pretty, which of course, warmed my heart! So I got in my car feeling pretty good about myself for accomplishing the shopping (and looking "pretty") and headed home.

About one block down the street I encountered another special needs person, only this one had taken her shoes and jacket off, laid them down in the middle of the two lanes, and was dancing around the street while yelling at the drivers for getting in her way. Umm okay, random. One notch down on my "successful day belt" ...except for the fact that I didn't hit her and she didn't hit me...one notch back up!

One block later, I made it home! I loaded my arms up with grocery bags feeling very victorious and then saw this...


Umm, so apparently while I was at the market, the UPS man delivered the cribs. Well that would be awesome if only my hands weren't full of groceries, the crib boxes didn't weigh a million pounds, and they weren't completely blocking my front door. What's a girl to do?! First, look around for a strong man...nope, none to be found. Second, set down all my groceries and snap a picture for Facebook. (Obviously!) Third, (carefully) tilt a box on its side and slide it through the door, then follow with the second box. Finally, put my feet up, rest, and drink a big glass of water while I wait for Matt to get home and move them upstairs. ;) All in all, I'd say that was a pretty successful day for me! 

And for those curious minds...here's some snapshots of one of the cribs put together. We'll be moving some things to storage and setting up the room (and other crib) later but for now we wanted to make sure we liked it and the crib mattress fit:



I can't tell you how surreal it is to have a crib set up in OUR house for one of OUR babies. What a blessing!!!

Side Note: We picked these cribs because their shape and size allows for multiple ways to arrange them in the room since we have a small space and two cribs. We'll also be getting a white dresser to use as a changing table. We thought the white furniture would help the small room look less crowded with so much furniture in it. I always thought I'd want a beautiful sleigh crib or one with a high side on it, but hey, you gotta go with what you need and what works! And it turns out we really like the simple design of these cribs and their quality. :) We will keep the donors' names private, but they were a gift to us and we couldn't be more THANKFUL!!!! We love them! 


4 comments:

  1. Funny. I couldn't stand chicken either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that chicken is a common smell and taste that many are opposed to when pregnant. interesting! Where are the cribs from? They are really cute! So happy that things are coming together for you. :) -Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything poultry related is a big NO-NO still...chicken, turkey, and eggs included. Typically the smell and taste both make me sick. Thankfully, red meat has become appetizing again...like burgers, steaks, ribs! The cribs are from a company called South Shore. Thanks Laura!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! You would think the UPS man would not have blocked the door like that...but eh, sometimes I guess they don't think through their delivery. The crib is so nice! I am so thrilled for you! :) HUGS, Kelly

    ReplyDelete