Friday, July 5, 2013

End of the First Trimester

As I start my second trimester on Saturday, I have come to the conclusion that some women excel at being pregnant and some women, well, don't. Turns out I'm one of those women who don't. Who knew? When I thought of pregnancy I had always assumed my checklist would look like this:

  • Glowing
  • Cute, round bump
  • Living my normal life, just with a cute bump
  • Spending time with friends, with a cute bump
  • Having fun cravings and eating a yummy array of food
  • Dreaming with my husband about our cute future child...note: just one child at a time

Turns out my reality-check checklist looks more like this:

  • Glowing.... only if defined as intense acne like I am 14-years-old again
  • Bump that looks more like I ate too much steak dinner... a few too many times
  • Nausea = morning sickness, afternoon sickness, night sickness... aka all day long sickness and throwing up
  • Headaches and endless fatigue
  • Cramping and crazy back pain
  • Never seeing friends because the toilet and couch are my new best friends
  • Panicking with my husband over the reality of babies...note: PLURAL...and what that will mean for our future, as well as worrying if they will be healthy
Life just never seems to go the way you think it will. As miserable as I have been though, I have to remind myself that I am so blessed to be here. I would so rather be miserable for nine months than be left to wonder what it would have been like and never experience it for myself. We are so blessed to have these miracles after a year of medications and procedures. There are so many women who go through all of that for even longer and still have empty arms. So while reality doesn't look anything like I had hoped and imagined, it's still okay. 

So without further ado, for the first time, we would like to introduce you to our two little ones! (Click on each picture for a bigger image.)

Our babies as embryos. Baby A is hatching, which means it is breaking through and ready to implant. Baby B implanted a day or so after.

Their growth over the weeks. We saw the first heartbeat just before 6 weeks.

At the end of the first trimester. They're turning over, moving around, and responding to my movement.





3 comments:

  1. Isn't january 4th your birthday? How exciting! As always, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a terrible pregnant person, especially with the twins.

    ReplyDelete