Monday, January 23, 2012

Health Update

First, a brief look into the history of my health. I started experiencing chronic lower back pain during 2000 while playing water polo and swimming. The pain was so debilitating that I finally quit both teams and spent my time attending numerous doctor's visits. We visited the chiropractor, saw specialists, took x-rays, and even did tests for lupus. Everything turned up negative, so after hitting so many dead ends, we let it go. In 2003 I was diagnosed with endometriosis (which I refer to as endo. Find out more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis) during a surgery to remove an out-of-control ovarian cyst. Since this diagnosis many doctors have written off my back pain to this disease. Fast forward to 2011- two endo surgeries and many years later- my chronic back pain still exists, and after over a decade I am ready to wage war with it.

My chronic pain interrupts daily activities and flares up during simple activities like walking, standing, and sitting. My level of fitness does not effect it, my diet does not effect it, and chiropractic care/yoga/pilates does not help it. My MRI came up negative for spinal damage and there seems to be no real "cause" to my pain. I know my body though and I know I'm not crazy. This pain is coming from something and it's not my endometriosis. I am tired of spending my life in pain, on drugs, and missing out on life while wondering what is wrong with me. 

So Matt and I have decided to take some semi-drastic measures. As you know (if you follow our blog), I left my job, started seeing doctors, am attending physical therapy several times a week, and am looking into specialists.  My physical therapist agrees that it is more then my endo but we are not sure what yet. Today we decided to start looking into my SI Joint (click on it to find out more). This can be linked to an autoimmune disease that is rare and difficult to diagnose as well as treat. I am hopeful that we are at least on a path that will lead to answers. I also feel so blessed that Matt is so supportive, providing, and caring through it all. He constantly tells me to rest, gets me an ice pack, rubs my back, and reminds me it's ok to focus on my health right now. 

I will keep you posted on what we find out and appreciate your prayers and luck towards finding the right answers in a timely manner so I can have answers, feel better, and start getting back to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment