Those of you who know me know that I don't love change, but as life goes on I realize that it's constant and I have to learn to deal. A few weeks ago I got another opportunity to embrace change. Oh boy.
For the last few months I've been helping a family while the mom was ill and needed to rest in the afternoons. Thankfully she's feeling much better and when she let me know they wouldn't need me anymore because she was feeling so well, it was certainly a surprise, although I was so glad she was feeling well enough take over the things she had been wanting to do for months. They were very sweet and generous in giving me the news but it's still hard to leave a family you've grown to care about and feel close to.
I had my tearful moments and then shook them off to move into conquer mode. What were Matt and I going to do next??? Could we make it if I couldn't find another job? How would I find another family who would be as great as the last? It wasn't hard for me to know where to begin. I hit my knees in prayer, seeking out wisdom and putting forth my faith. I knew in my heart that if this door was closed then another would open, and I knew I had to trust that whatever was next must be even better if He was moving me on. Ready or not, sometimes you just have to move forward.
I called a good friend whom I thought may have some connections to families in the area and sure enough she made some calls and passed my number out. By that evening I had two people call me wanting to set up interviews. Within hours I went from feeling lost to feeling blessed by opportunities. I made arrangements to meet both families, but after my first meeting I knew I didn't need the second so I called and politely canceled. I then emailed to accept my new position!
Tomorrow I start with my new family. I feel so blessed to have found another job so quickly and I feel like it could be another great fit. For confidentiality I won't be giving too much information, but they are a family of five with three children. Two (boys) are in elementary and one (girl) is a toddler in preschool. They live in the same area as I was working in before and my duties will be the same, too- running errands, picking up and taking to activities, assisting around the home, and helping with homework and music practices. I will be working about 18 hours per week, Monday thru Thursday. The position comes with a handful of amazing and unforeseen benefits such as a large raise, salary (not hourly), paid holidays, up to ten days of paid time off per year, and mileage. I feel so blessed!!
When I first heard that I wasn't needed anymore and my mind started racing about what I was possibly going to do next, I never imagined my prayers would be answered like this! I really like the parents and the children, and they are very flexible with my health situation (which I fully informed them about). I am excited to start tomorrow and get to know them all better, and it's my prayer to be a blessing to them.
Since I first started working with children and families in the 90s, I have worked closely with at least 7 different families. With each, my love for them and their children has grown and expanded, and yet change has always taken me away and moved me on to another family or opportunity. I don't know what's next but I'm hoping to be here for at least a little while. :)
*A quick health update: this last week I took blood tests and x-rays. The results will go to my doctor and I meet with him in a few weeks to review it all. Of course I'll keep you updated. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment