Sunday, November 3, 2013

Revealing the Nursery

I think we are 98% done with the nursery. I'd love to say "We're done!" but let's be real, I'll continue to move stuff around a little and think it changes everything or add other things I'd like to do. :) There's also things we'll need to do once the babies get here, like hang up the baby tub in the shower, but for now there's no reason it can't stay tucked underneath one of the cribs along with a few other things.

A lot of people have a "theme" for their nursery- like Safari, Puppies, Ducks, or Cars. While we have no problem with rooms like that, we knew that wasn't what we wanted after talking about our options. In the end, we agreed we wanted it to be a mix of blue/green/white so it would be soothing for babies and yet slightly masculine, and it needed just a hint of wiener dogs in honor of the bond we hope our little ones will have with Hunter.

Feel free to click on the picture for a larger image. I'll go into more detail under each photo:

I know...worst picture ever... but it should give you an idea of what this room looked like as our office before we changed it into the nursery. 

The nursery (with the office now tucked away in the armoire in the corner)

PART 1
My mom helped me by making the bedding sets for the cribs. She sewed two duvet covers for each bed. Two are cotton with a stripe/polka dot front and a solid navy back (one in green and one in blue). The other two have a flannel chevron front with a solid navy fleece back (one in green and one in blue). I wanted options that would be cooler for summer and cozier for winter and I love how all four of them turned out! My mom also sewed the navy bed skirts for each crib and she bought us crib sheets in navy blue to match. My Grandma Alison made the little white bears in each crib. I decided to not have matching crib sets since, even though these little ones are twins, they are individuals more importantly. 

The Green Crib
The Blue Crib

PART 2
The changing table area is a dresser that we use to store diapers, socks, hats, and other little things, along with their clothes and extra bedding, etc. Above the dresser we hung a shelf so our little ones could see pictures of our families, and a little toy hangs underneath to keep their attention during diaper changes.
Changing table/dresser and shelf
Changing table
My mom bought us this little wiener dog toy as a decoration for my baby shower. We hung it under the shelf so it can be used to keep a baby's attention during a diaper change, or taken off and played with. The paci's are in a flower vase from our wedding and I tied a navy bow around it. I loved repurposing something from such a special day! 
Top drawer: diapers (we'll use cloth after the first few weeks), slippers, socks, hats, diaper accessories, and other small items.
Second drawer: some of the clothes are already packed in the diaper bag and ready to go to the hospital. As their clothes get bigger we'll probably need to use the third drawer, as well as more of the closet. For now, just a few things are hung in the closet, like button-down collared shirts (adorable!) and jackets. 
Third drawer: for now this drawer has receiving blankets, swaddlers, changing pad covers, sheets, towels, burp cloths, and bibs. 


PART 3
An overall look at the room (from the doorway):
Far left wall: green crib, changing table/dresser, and armoire concealing our office area.
Wall straight ahead: rocking chair from my Grandma Ethel with a blanket made by my Aunt Debra, and a filing cabinet concealing office things that multi-tasks as a place to hold books, baby video monitor, and sound machine. For safety reasons, I didn't want a crib or the changing table in front of the window. 
Far right wall: closet, blue crib, and lamp.

PART 4
A look at the details:
This armoire hides our computer and other office supplies. The printer is on top along with some of Staci's favorite old stuffed animals, including (of course) two wiener dogs. 

Stuffed animal friends, including brown and grey wiener dogs
My Grandma Alison made us this wiener dog basket and it's perfect for holding little lovey-stuffed animals until the babies are old enough to snuggle them and take them on the go. 
Bedtime isn't bedtime without reading a book together first! Other important bedtime items are the video monitor and sound machine. 
In honor of Hunter, artwork with black and tan wiener dogs 
This bedroom has an attached bathroom and it's also ready with baby soaps and washcloths, all tucked neatly into a basket

3 comments:

  1. Staci, the nursery is PERFECT! You guys did a great job with everything and I love how it's all organized and ready for babies. It looks wonderful and feels so cozy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya look all ready to me. I bet just being in it is so surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci, everything looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing...I love to see other nurseries! :) Love & Hugs, Kelly

    ReplyDelete