Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

It's that time again and you find yourself standing in front of the open fridge, cold air rushing out at you, eyes wandering the contents within, and somewhere in your mind you hear, "Close the fridge door! We're not cooling the whole house!" Okay maybe that's just my mind that repeats my parent's famous words. Still, you know it's only a matter of time before someone asks the dreaded question, "What's for dinner?????" You might want to reply, "I don't know. What are you cooking?" But most likely you know it's up to you. Well worry no more! I'm here to save the day! Or maybe just one day this week...

I've decided to try something new, so now every Tuesday I'd like to share a favorite recipe or product with you. Cooking and baking are some of my greatest hobbies. I find it therapeutic to mix the ingredients, smell it cooking, and try the outcome. Most of my joy comes in sharing the food with others though! So I hope you try some of these things and let me know what you think. Please also let me know if you follow along, or find yourself looking forward to another Tasty Tuesday revealing, so I'll know to keep it up and continue posting. Here goes!



Summer Salad
This weekend may be the last weekend of summer but avocados are often on sale this time of year. This is a salad I make at work at least once a week and it's a favorite with the kids and adults alike. It can be a great main course or side dish, and it's super fresh and easy to throw together.

Ingredients:
3 large Avocados (cut about equal pieces)
2 Yellow or White Corn on the Cob (or both; raw)
1 package Cherry or Grape Tomatoes (cut in half)
1/2 large Cucumber (cut into pieces equal to avocado pieces)
1/2 Purple Onion (diced)
1 Lime 
Pepper
Garlic Salt

(Makes about 5 large servings)

Directions:
Cut up all avocado, corn off the cob, tomatoes, cucumber, and onion, and put them in a bowl together. Squeeze fresh lime juice on them and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Using a spoon, gently mix everything together and then serve. 

What's so great about this salad is that you can make it however you like. Personally, I don't like onions so I never add them, but for those that do you can add in as much as you like. Don't have a cucumber? No problem, just leave it out! Have a cucumber but no corn? Skip the corn and go with the cucumber instead! See? Super easy. As I'm sure you can imagine, this salad doesn't keep, so only cut up what you think you'll eat. If it's a side dish, or for less people, then you'll need to cut up less. 

I hope you enjoy!

(Original inspirational recipe can be found at: http://authenticsuburbangourmet.blogspot.com/2011/05/avocado-and-grilled-corn-salad-with.html)

2 comments:

  1. I never realized the corn didnt have to be cooked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sweeter and crunchier that way- very yummy! This last week at work we added in black beans for extra protein. It was another fun way to mix it up!

      Delete