Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cayman Islands Family Vacation

Saying yes to Matt's proposal was one of the easiest things I've ever done, but moving so far away from my family was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I can't tell you how many times tears crept into my eyes as I prepared for my nuptials and pondered saying goodbye- especially to my two little miracle nephews. The sloppy kisses and too tight squeezes, the pitter patter of little feet, the silly things they say and the accomplishments they make. I was going to miss so much, and I decided to make the most of every chance we had to be together in the future. So of course I was beyond excited when my parents asked us what we thought about taking a family vacation all together.

We decided on renting a villa on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands, the place we had our first family vacation the summer of 1998. My parents researched, documented, and presented us with several villas to vote on and we decided on Kai Conut, a North Side 5-bedroom home with private pool and dock. We planned menus, shopping lists, packing lists, and submitted our payments. Finally it was time to board our planes and arrive at our vacation destination.

Matt and I flew from San Jose to Houston, where we met up in the airport with my sister's family who had flown in from Los Angeles, and together boarded the flight to Grand Cayman. After landing and clearing customs, the six of us met my parents in the balmy and not-so-air-conditioned airport, and walked across the street to climb into our three rental cars. Ours was a top-of-the-line Corolla that came equipped with all the bells and whistles, like a tape deck and a trunk that turned into a pool with every rain storm, and looked like a herd of crabs had attacked it. It was perfect for island driving and provided us with several good laughs!

The eight of us spent the week swimming, floating, snorkeling, eating, feeding stingrays, relaxing, laughing, and enjoying spending family time together. My heart was content snuggling my nephews to sleep at night, hearing their giggles in the morning, talking about everything and nothing with my sister, going on crab hunts late at night with Matt and Bryan, and spending time with my parents- finally not feeling rushed to cram in a 24-48 hour visit. There are a number of pictures to share with you, but there are a number more memories tucked away in my heart.

(Click on any of the following photos for a larger view)

Cayman Turtle Farm









Pirates Caves, Bat Caves, and Wildlife Rescue Zoo





Rum Pointe & Stingray City








Pool Time






The Views

Our private dock at sunset

Views from lunch on the beach

Our private dock. A school of brightly colored fish lived underneath, accompanied by many crabs and several jellyfish.

Our backyard at the villa

Sunset on our private beach


Family


Ben took this picture of us for my mom's birthday dinner











1 comment:

  1. Your family is so Precious!!! What a great time and memories that will last forever.

    ReplyDelete